Sunday, August 25, 2013

THANK YOU!! and a little peek into what I do the first week of school

Wow!  Thank you everyone for all of the support and positivity towards my lil blog!  I must admit that I was a little nervous to put it out there, but all of your views and support washed that nervousness away.  Thank you again!  My next step will be to get on Bloglovin!

Okay, so how about that first week of school!?  We technically did not have a full first week.  My school does two half days, one Thursday and one Friday.  Tomorrow starts our full first week of all day every day.  That first week is tough to plan, for me at least, because I don't fully start my first grade curriculum yet.  I do a week long review of letters and their sounds and a number and number words review in math.  For the letter review I use the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (one of my personal faves, it's just so catchy!), and I just found this awesome Chicka Chicka pack to go with it.  Grab yours here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Chicka-Chicka-BOOM-BOOM-Mini-Unit-Math-Alphabet-Centers-252033  I already copied, laminated, and cut it all out so it's ready to go!  Thank you Doodle Bugs Teaching for the unit.  Also, I used this pack last year and will use it again and again.  It is an alphabet review pack from the amazing Kerri B.  Get yours here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Amazing-Alphabet-Activities-Pack-237306  I'm noticing that I have a little bit less work this year because a lot of the packs that I am using are already copied and laminated!  However, my fiancee was right when he said that I will find other things to make or buy haha he knows me too well.  ;)  Anyways, back to Kerri B!  I also use her I Know My Numbers pack: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/I-Know-My-Numbers-Math-Activities-251583  As you can see, I love her stuff!  Great graphics and material.
Oh!  In addition, I will start our Writer's Workshop this week with some incredible ideas from the lovely Mrs. Cara Carroll.  Check out her post about Writer's Workshop here: http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/2011/08/writers-workshop-anchor-charts.html  In fact, tomorrow I will read The Best Story Ever by Eileen Spinelli and work with the students to make a WHY we write anchor chart.  So excited to start Writer's Workshop from the beginning of the year this year.  Last year, I was taking Teaching Writing K-12 in grad school, so I did not begin Writer's Workshop until February/March.  Let me tell you tho, it is life changing.  I pride myself in being a pretty good writer, so I wanted to instill that in my lils too.  Unfortunately, our writing lessons were combined in our reading curriculum and not really great.  I would supplement with guided writings, but once we began Writer's Workshop, my students' writing improved dramatically!  I will have to make another post later explaining it more in depth.
Well, it's getting late so I'm going to shut down here and watch the rest of the VMAs!  How mind blowing was Justin's performance, by the way!!! :-D

Samantha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment